Monday, May 15, 2006

Nova sucks and my boss is a cunt

So I got a phone call today from my boss and she told me my schedule is changing. This is going to affect me in three ways. I am now going to teach a Chibiko class (2 to 4 year olds I think), which is going to suck. Its going to change when I work on Mondays (from 5-9pm)to much earlier. Finally, since I'm no longer working the late shift (which carries a cash bonus of about $50/month) I'll be making less money now for working the same number of hours.

So for some reason all of this was way too much for me to handle and now I'm in a fucking rage. On top of that, my boss always talks down to me (more in tone than words) and it just reminds me how dispensible to Nova I am. So I was talking to my friend Rhea on the ride home and we both vented for a bit. How many English teachers are in Japan right now? Not nearly enough. How many Japanese want to learn English? Every single person it seems. How the fuck am I dispensible? Only an idiot who doesn't realize how valuable he is would allow himself to be treated like this. Nova should be tossing my salad right now in order to keep me happy. And my ass is quite dry and I wouldn't be opposed to a good tossing. Nova makes a killing off of this whole English-language school scam and I'm doing all of the work. I could easily find another job. I'm going to get applications for all of the other language schools tonight after writing some emails and see what my options are. Although I already realize that anyone I work for is probably going to be an asshole and shit all over me. The one option available to me that makes sense is to get private teaching jobs and be self-employed.

There are a few websites here that put English-speakers in touch with potential Japanese students for private lessons. You can expect to make about 3000 yen an hour (depending on the exchange rate, maybe 27 bucks) which is more than I earn per lesson at Nova. When it comes down to it, private lessons make too much sense. I could make my own hours and finally get Saturdays and Sundays off. I could take time off without getting it approved (I would warn students of course, but no one would have the ability to deny me anything) and I could even put my hair back into a mohawk if I felt ballsy enough. I could wear T-shirts, shorts, and sandals as well. I wouldn't have to listen to my douche-bag boss, and I could even tell her the fuck off before I quit. Oh man. That alone makes this whole thing worth it.

So I'm going to go create some profiles online and see if any students email me. I mean, think about how much sense this actually makes. 3000 yen for a single lesson is a bargain. You pay less at Nova per lesson but they require you to buy these ridiculously expensive packages for the entire year and most students don't even get to use up all of their class hours. They're going to learn from me regardless (the me at Nova, or the me doing private students) so what do they care where it takes place. Plus, doing private lessons always means one-on-one lessons which are preferrable for the student. I could do group lessons on my own and really clean the fuck up, but I think there are some baby steps to make first.

Oh man. I think this is an adventure that would teach me important life lessons as well. To be self-employed is something that would teach me things I could take back to the States and use. It sounds really fun to me right now too. The problem is that Nova is so fucking easy. Plus I love my room now, and I don't want to give it up for a tiny hole in the wall in Nagoya. Or do I? It would be cool to live downtown...

Ok, the guy who promises the most does the least (or so says some internet forward) so I need to go do some work.

How do I create my own lessons?

blog comments powered by Disqus