Saturday, May 06, 2006

Movies

I got a book from the Tsurumai Central Library on the history of Japanese film. I got quite a ways into it and was a rarin' to go get some movies when I discovered something troubling. Japanese movies aren't released with English subtitles. Maybe one or two are, but they look like the Japanese equivalents of Armageddon and xXx, so I think I'll pass. Even classic Kurosawa films (the Hitchcock of Japanese direction) aren't released with subtitle options. What the fuck Japan? I know this is probably the most homogenous country in the world and its native English-speaking population consists of me and another guy, but how about a little effort? I checked the Hollywood section and found 8 languages available on its copy of Chicago. Why would you need to include Hungarian in your Japanese release? A Hungarian has yet to visit. I'm disappointed but I'll use this to redouble my efforts to learn the language. It will all pay off when I can watch Yamato (The Japanese war epic in the same vein as Pearl Harbor). There are so many good propaganda films that I want to see and no arbitrarily-constructed language is going to stop me. There's also a German film here on the life of Hitler that I want to watch, but predictably, its in German and Japanese only.

blog comments powered by Disqus