Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Mister Coffee

The two Mister Coffee cafes in Obu and Nagoya have become my weekend haunts. I come to this internet cafe, go to the two libraries that have English books, and then head to the cafe to drink 20 cups of coffee and learn Japanese (its 262 yen for all you can drink American-style coffee and if I get hungry than they serve decent donuts and even ramen noodles). A sampling of my studying:

Sakae de kissaten ni nihongo o benkyoo shi ni ikimasu. Shizuka desu kara.
(I go to a cafe in Sakae to study Japanse. Because its quiet.)

I could write it out in hiragana with some kanji but I dont know how to do that with this laptop. But I'm definitely making progress. It doesn't translate into the real world yet and I can't understand anything anyone says to me, but I can put together some sentences fairly accurately. Its not easy. Jarod was being way too generous in his estimation of my abilities when he said I would be fluent in a year.

I think spending the rest of my life traveling around the world and learning different languages and reading would be an awesome lifestyle. Thats just where my heads at right now.

blog comments powered by Disqus