Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Viva la Weekends

So its Thursday, which is my Saturday. My camera's battery is charging right now and I don't want to go into Nagoya without it, so I'll leave in about an hour or so. Its 11:29am here on Thursday, so its 7:29pm on Wednesday in New York, Boston, and Greenfield (where most of my audience happens to be located. I also have a fan in Philadelphia and wherever Jeff happens to be right now). My game plan is to finally buy a cell phone through Vodafone (and not through DoCoMo because their phones are ugly). I'm going to the International Center again (to get a membership so I can take out their English books), three bookstores in the Sakae part of the city (hopefully they have English sections that don't sell cheap Shakespeare paperbacks for more than 12 bucks), Osu Kannon to buy a bookshelf, and while in Sakae I'm going to try to find this internet cafe that gives away 2 hours for free to foreigners with registation cards. I don't know why this internet cafe would do that, but I've gotten reliable information that they do.

The work week was alright. Same ol', same ol'. If I can find this internet cafe, I'll post any pictures I take today and write some emails, so everyone keep your fingers crossed.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot. So I had a student in class the other day and we were discussing exaggerations. People here are very modest and this concept is tricky for them. So, one of the expressions was 'I'm so hungry I could eat a horse' and this one older guy didn't get it. The converstaion went something like this:

Surprised American: I'm so hungry I could eat a horse. We say this when we're REALLY hungry.
Horse lover: But in Japan, we eat horse.
Surprised American: No, I mean, to eat the WHOLE horse.
Horse lover: Yes, we eat the whole horse.
Surprised American: No, I don't mean to eat each part of it, I mean to eat the whole horse AT ONE TIME.
Horse lover: OH! No, we don't do that, hahahaha.

Riiight. Because THAT would be ridiculous.

blog comments powered by Disqus