Friday, March 24, 2006

Nagoyako finally

So I was out last night at Shooters and at around 12:45am I realized that I had missed the last train back to Kyowa. The people I was drinking with had thinned out (they didn't forget when their last trains left) and the people who remained in the bar were people that I was sick of talking to. So I just left the bar without saying goodbye to anyone and wandered around the city for an hour. I only know one place in Nagoya that I can find someone to crash with so I was wandering aimlessley but in that general direction. I sent text messages back and forth with Daniela which was awesome and made the walk fun. I bought some sushi from a convenience store and ate it with my fingers while saying hello to everyone who walked past me. Actually, on several occassions I said konnichiwa, which is good afternoon, and then corrected myself after they were 10 steps past me. I must have looked absolutely ridiculous and slightly threatening to the little Japanese people that I met. I left my sushi plate in some conspicuous place so someone else could throw it away and bought some cookies. I ate them greedily and took a picture of some yellow flowers with my cell phone. I tried to talk to a few people I think but gave up when I realized that being drunk doesn't make it any easier to speak a language that you don't understand.

I got to Free Bell at 1:30ish and right as I entered the building my cell phone died. So I was forced to guess at the apartment number of my co-worker Mike, and just bang on his door. No one answered and I was convinced that I had the wrong number anyway, so I went back downstairs into the street. I took a minute to piss in an alley and concentrate. This was something I could solve. It hit me: just walk home. How many stops is it to Kyowa, only like 8 or so, right? I started to walk full of determination and then realized it would be like walking from downtown Boston to Waltham. Ok. I can't do that. Back upstairs and make a lot of noise became the plan. I went back to the door that I thought was Mike's and really laid into it. If a pissed off Japanese person opens the door I'm gonna say 'gomen nasai' (which is I'm sorry) and if they aren't satisfied with that I'm gonna jump at them and scare the shit of them. So I'm banging like crazy and a suprisingly awake Mike opens the door. Success. I crashed there until I couldn't take it anymore and left at around 7am. He only had a little loveseat thing and my neck and knees were killing me. He gave me a pillow but I slept under my own coat and it was freezing in his apartment. I had a weird experience when I left though. It must have been thanks to how I was sleeping but when I got out into the street one of my legs went numb and I couldn't walk on it. I had to stop and act like I was just deep in thought while I waited for me leg to start working again. It was less than a minute, but I got worried pretty quickly that I lost my ability to walk to the train station. I don't even know how I would solve a problem like that. It works now though, so no problem.

I got home and haven't slept since then. Today while on the train back from the Nagoya Aquarium I fell asleep on the train. Every Japanese person does this, as none of them ever sleep, but it was very unsatisfying. I can't wait to get home, maybe have a cup of tea and some rice and fall asleep reading. Oh man that sounds so fucking good right now.

The Nagoya Aquarium kicks the Boston Aquarium's ass. A Japanese woman told me that the aquarium in Sydney harbor stomps a mudhole in the Nagoya one though. There's two separate buildings to walk through and there are multiple tanks that more than triple the size of Boston's biggest one. They have a bunch of dolphins, an orca, manatees, a shitload of turtles, a bunch of penguins (the Nagoya penguins don't get as much space as the Boston ones and I don't think there's as many but the presentation is maybe a little nicer) and whatever else swims in the sea. More than an hour and a half though and any aquarium is boring. I felt a little ripped off in the information department though. They could use a little more eigo (english) in that dump. Maybe 20% of the shit you see is translated and that's being generous. So while I didn't learn a thing it was fun.

I was reading my earlier posts and found them very uninformative. I don't really get any kind of a picture in my mind when I read my own writing so I'm gonna try to fix that. I don't think just making these posts really long is going to solve that problem, but more information would help as far as I'm concerned. I'll try to be better with the details I guess. I'll write everything I can remember and then let you guys decide if its worth reading or not.

Or something like that.

Boobs!

blog comments powered by Disqus