Saturday, April 29, 2006

Kids are too god-damned fragile

So I've made two kids cry so far. The first time it happened I was really really really uncomfortable. It was the first time I'd had to deal with that situation so I was unsure of what I was expected to do. Also, to see a 9-year old girl crying is not fun regardless of the situation. Lastly, the parents of every kid in the class happened to be present that day and were staring at me the whole time. That last reason contributed to no small degree to how awkwrd I felt. It was very funny in retrospect. The reason she started to cry in the first place was because she was losing at a game, so it was also kind of cute and I think the parents didn't judge me too harshly.

However, I apparently didn't learn anything from that because I caused another kid to cry today and it was during the same fucking game.

I had the whole class sit in a circle and arranged eight flash cards on the floor in front of them. They had pictures of pigs and ducks and stuff on them. I say the sentence that I'm trying to get them to learn and have them repeat it back to me. After that I say 'GO!' and they all race to slap the correct flash card. Well the girl that cried in my first class was dominating this time around, and she kept caging this one kid out of the game. She'd slide her knee in front of him and then they'd yell at each other in Japanese while I pretended I didn't see any of it. When he couldn't get any cards he totally started to cry. So, again, all the parents in the next room started to crowd the window to see what the noise was all about and I was in the middle of an elementary-school sized shitstorm.

Well, this time was much easier to deal with because he was obviously being a pussy. He's the kid thats going to get eaten alive in middle school and I think it's my responsibility to try and stop that from happening. Plus, if that girl who cried it all out of her system last time has taught me anything its that the class pussy of today can be the machine of tomorrow.

Not him though. That kid is meat. Good luck.

blog comments powered by Disqus