Friday, April 21, 2006

Ise details


I've already posted a short introduction to Ise that I stole from a pamphlet yesterday. The main attraction of the Jingu shrine is the mirror of the Japanese sun god. Which is fine, and I was excited to pick it up and play catch with it and everything, but you can't even SEE it when you get there. The bigger of the two main shrines houses it, but tourists are only allowed inside of the first wall. Three more walls prevent anyone from seeing it (or even the shrine that its housed in) and you just pray to it from the gate of the second wall (I'm standing outside of the first wall but the second gate is visible in the photo). This is accomplished by deeply bowing twice, clapping your hands twice, and then bowing a third and final time. You're invited to toss some money onto a white sheet at the entrance of the second gate. I didn't kick up any money and I sure as hell didn't pray to some mirror. A spiritual being who can't get out from inside of a mirror is a pussy. There, I said it. And if the spirit isn't inside the mirror, then its just a stupid mirror and I'd rather pray to my Birkenstocks because at least they are reliable and keep my feet comfy. Mirrors remind me I'm getting older and point out my physical flaws when assisted by fluorescent lighting. Fuck mirrors.

Quasi-jokes aside, it was a nice trip. The area surrounding the shrines was beautiful and the architecture of the shrines was interesting. There was a pond inside of the smaller shrine with some gigantic coy inside. The pond was shallow enough to allow a determind person to pet the coy, so I proceeded to do so. Someone shot me a sidelong glance when they saw me reaching for the fish but it was worth it. I don't know if I've ever touched a live fish before. I was pleased with the experience and none of the fish seemed to mind, so it was a victimless crime.

As I've mentioned earlier, this internet cafe at Sakae plays a lot of American pop and I'm listening for the first time to the new Black Eyed Peas song. The one where they bleep out every other word and it sounds something like 'I can tell you're looking at my BLEEP, but I want you to keep playing with my BLEEP.' I'd like to add this song to my list of grievances against the Black Eyed Peas. That is all.

blog comments powered by Disqus