Monday, April 03, 2006

Toyohashi Follow-Up Training and fast trains

I'm at the Yahoo Broadband cafe in Sakae again. It's 7:18pm. I came here directly from follow-up training in Toyohashi at the other end of Aichi prefecture. I've been told that its a city of about a million people, but I dont believe it. I have a Kondasha Japanese-English dictionary and listed in the appendix are Japanese place names with their kanji. Toyohashi, Hamematsu, and Shizuoka are not in there and they're all supposed to be really big cities. Plus, I know my geography and I feel like I would have heard of these cities if they're really that big. But for western Aichi, they're enormous. I went out to JMax on Saturday night, a club near Fushimi station in Nagoya, with my buddy Pat, Paul, and Paul's roommate. Paul is the British guy that I know from training that lives in the sticks in Aichi. Apparently from Paul and his roommate's place you can see Mt. Fuji but its still an hour train ride away or more. So we went to JMax right before the doors closed at midnight. It stays open until 3:30am and it was a ton of fun. It was some kind of bikini-themed night and quite busy. It was 3000 yen to get in and you got four drinks complimentary. We blew threw the 'free drinks' and did a lap around the place. The dance floor itself wasn't that big but there was a lot of sitting room on two floors surrounding it. Two bars on the northern and western sides of the dance floor and plenty of girls hired by the club dancing on platforms. Pat and I went to the dancefloor to get it started but just when we arrived the music changed from loud Japanese pop/techno to hip-hop and it cleared out. Apparently hip-hop is just not tolerated in Japanese clubs. It was busy again once some techno/pop came back on and we stayed there until it closed.

After the lights came on and people started to filter into the street we met some interesting characters. Two Japanese girls in latex maid outfits chatted with me and Paul on their way through the lobby. I had been under the impression they were working for the club but was wrong. They were just down with latex maid outfits. Outside we met some Japanese guys who wanted to talk and we were loud and drunk and apparently attract those kinds of people. Some guy kept talking about how big our dicks were and how small his was. He even bag-tagged me when I wasn't looking and told the girls around us how hung I am. I don't understand why anyone would do that, but it happened. He wasn't the only one either, another group of guys told some girls walking past us how big our dicks are. No one seemed sarcastic or malicious in the way they talked about it either, like they genuinely just wanted to build us up or something to every girl in listening range. I'm not complaining.

I had to work early on Sunday so after the club we took a cab to freebell to crash at Pat's place. I got four hours of sleep and made it back home in time to catch my train. My ears were ringing worse than ever before though and it was affecting my work. I couldn't hear my students, who tend to speak quietly, and kept asking them to repeat themselves. One guy, when I asked him how he was, said hung over. I said 'me too' and I high-fived.

blog comments powered by Disqus