Wednesday, June 07, 2006

I hope this works

I'm changing my approach to NOVA. Today I was given a form to sign so that I can go to Toyohashi on the 26th and get TOEIC/TOEFL training. Training is pretty much mandatory, but you still have to sign this form and consent to be trained. So I'm not signing shit. That's my new approach.

I have the form in my bag right now and I'm going to tear it up and throw it away when I get home. Training isn't mandatory if they need my permission to go ahead with it. That much seems clear. So, if I can refuse training, what incentive do I have to take on yet more work for no additional money? Maybe that's not how things are done in Japan but that's also how things are done when you're dealing with suckers.

I'll call my boss and let him know that if they want me to get trained then I'd better see some more money or a change in my schedule. I want three-day weekends and no more half-days. Those are my demands. That, or one tobaggan ride, per week, with any NOVA student I want.

I think I'm actually prepared to lose my job over this. I don't think they can afford to fire me right now with the teacher shortages at both Higashiura and Handa, so this is definitely a calculated risk. If I do get fired over my refusal to sign the form, than I'll pack up my shit and go to Tokyo to find a new job. I would have enough money to get by for a couple of months and I don't think it would be hard to get hired again in that time. I think I'm also willing to gamble with my job because I came to Japan to have an adventure and working at a boring-ass job while saving all my money is hardly what I would call an adventure. I should quit based on that reasoning alone and try to join the yakuza. Or move to Mie and join the ninja town. Or set up a tent on Himaka Island and live off of the octopus there.


Octopus? Octopus(s)es? Octopi?

blog comments powered by Disqus