Thursday, February 23, 2006

Work and Miscellany

So I had my first kid at work. I was under the impression I wasn't going to have kids until March 6, but things change. It was a one-on-one session, and he belongs to the youngest group of kids taught at Nova. I think he was 3 or 4, but the Kinder group covers ages between 3 and 6. Anyway, he was pretty cute and it was almost fun. He kept losing interest in what we were doing (I don't blame him, its boring and repetitive) and would either wander to the window or just kind of slump down on the floor and stare at the wall. At one point I tried to get him to make a 'f' sound, but this devolved into him spitting a lot. He did that thing where you flap your tongue and spit all over the damned place. Well, he wandered around to my side of the table and did that all over my sleeve and tie and I almost lost it. I felt his spit land on my cheek and I stopped smiling and said in a tone that translates easily to Japanese 'sit down and don't do that again.' He caught on that I wasn't joking and the rest of the lesson went pretty smooth. Work moves forward like clockwork but I got my first compliment the other day. One of the Japanese staff told me the name of some student (didn't catch it) and said that she/he said I was the best. It felt pretty good, but I think some of my girl students have crushes on me, so it might not have been genuine.

blog comments powered by Disqus