Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Busy busy busy. I'll upload my pics on Friday

So Ive been training in Toyohashi for the past two days. Toyohashi is a pretty big city, an hour away on the local trains and 38 minutes away on an express. I have my third and final session tomorrow, Thursday, from 1:20pm to 9pm. I have already taught three classes all the way through and one half class. Its actually pretty daunting. Everyone I spoke too told me it was the easiest thing in the world and I'd be bored out of my mind. Not true during training. The classes are 40 minutes long and you can have between 1 and 4 students at a time. For a single student, theres not enough to do and for four (which I havent had yet) its way too much. On my very first class, because the student didnt show up, one of the Japanese staff sat in and I practiced with her. It was garbage. Pure garbage. I flew through everything I had to do and then just -- very awkwardly -- killed the last 12 minutes. The second student I had was a girl in high school and it went better, but I still finished way too quickly and was forced to sit and repeat the same role-playing scenario over and over with her. I dont think I can accurately explain how those last 10 to 15 minutes drag on when you dont have anything left to do. The last student I had was an older guy (he might have been 40) and his English was pretty awesome. He had been to over 30 countries and with the more advanced students you get to just kind of chat with them and avoid the boring reading exercises associated with the lower level students. So I just asked him about his friendships and crap like that. Much better though. So tomorrow I have four classes to teach and they're all groups of students. Im pretty stressed out over it. It may seem like the easiest job in the world, but when someone is sitting in front of you and you're trying to keep them interested and busy at the same time -- its kind of nerve-wracking. Especially when you have no idea what the fuck youre doing and its only your second day of training.

Im gonna go into Toyohashi tomorrow with this British guy, Paul, and get a few drinks. I have Friday off so Ill come back to this internet cafe and post the rest of my pictures and hopefully think of something more interesting to write. My roommate Brian is leaving for Thailand in the next two days and he'll be gone for two weeks. I suppose I'll need to find something to do...

blog comments powered by Disqus