Friday, February 03, 2006

First post from Obu-shi

Ok, I added some pictures to my Flickr thing but I reached my limit for the month pretty quickly. I really dont want to pay for Flickr but unless someone can tell me how to finish uploading my pictures, I suppose Ill be forced to. Ok, so Obu-shi is alright. Its a town right outside of Nagoya and I can reach the Sakae area of the city in about 15 minutes. My luggage is going to arrive tonight at 9 from the airport and not a second too soon. Ive been wearing the same tshirt and jeans for 4 days now. I ate breakfast at a 7-11 this morning and I realize how pathetic that sounds, but I have good reasons. First of all getting food from a 7-11 isnt the same in Japan as it is in the USA. The quality of the food is a lot better and... well, thats about it. Im still too intimidated to go to a restaurant alone (you should have just seen the ridiculous exchange I had at this internet cafe). My Japanese is non-existant. I thought I would be in decent shape but I might as well have learned Russian. My apartment is alright. The rooms are small and the one Im in doesnt have a window. Its bigger than the third room and warmer right now though. Since we will get a one week warning if another person moves in with us I can make the decision to switch rooms again. Brian Cochran, my roommate, says the room that Im currently in is horrible in the summer, so I may switch when it gets warmer out. Brian is, which is hillarious by the way, from Sudbury, Mass. Honestly. What the fuck? Seems like a really nice guy though. I crashed last night at 7pm but he woke me up around 9 and a bunch of our coworkers went out with us to kind of celebrate my arrival. We just had a few beers and ate some fried chicken stuff. They all seem really cool. An asian girl from Australia, a kid from Camden, NJ, another American from Florida named Mike, and one of their students came out. Im heading into Nagoya for the first time tonight to play Halo. Apparently theyre gamers and since I have nothing better to do, I guess I can school their asses. Since this cafe is across the street from my building, Ill be able to update frequently.

blog comments powered by Disqus