Friday, February 17, 2006

Red Rock and New Pics

So, I posted just 4 days ago, but it seems like much longer. My days are packed and I feel like I've already been here for a month. Lets see... the last time I posted was after my first two days of work, so since then... shit. What did I do? I should start bringing my journal to this internet cafe so I dont forget to write about anything. On Valentine's Day I was invited to watch an episode of Lost at my friend Mike's house in Free Bell. Free Bell is an apartment complex in the Sakae region of Nagoya. Sakae is like saying 'downtown' I think. Its a great location since you're in the heart of Nagoya and its not any more expensive to live there than where I am in Kyowa in Nova housing. It seems like most of my friends from work have moved there, but I'm not convinced that it's where I belong yet. Anyway, so a bunch of us went over to Mike's place and watched Lost, which, by the way, is beyond crap. I met a few more people including this British guy who's just visiting Japan. He has lived in San Diego for the past 5 years and he's great. Best sense of humor of anyone I've met so far. I had to catch the last train to Kyowa at 12:15 so that was that.

Two days ago, after work, my friend Sunshine (She's from Melbourne and got here at the beginning of last month) invited me to this Aussie bar in Nagoya. There's an 'all you can drink' deal from 10 to 12 that everyone shows up for. I was told about 60% of everyone in the bar worked for Nova, but it was still nice to meet new people (I posted a bunch of pictures from that night: click on the Flickr bar to see them). I met Jeremy from central Vermont who invited me to a pick-up Basketball game. James, his friend from New York state, was working in the Hancock tower in Boston while I was. I worked on the fifth floor for IBT and he was on the 39th for some ad firm. This older wannabe writer guy was talking to me for a while about books and about his career. I made an extra effort to forget everything he said to me, so no details. Actually, here's a detail: he was completely lame. This white guy with an American accent was telling me that Ben means shit in japanese. His Jamaican (he might have been an Indian though because I was too drunk to distinguish) friend repeated this fact to me over and over again until I wanted to smash them both in the face with my glass. I asked a Japanese girl later what Ben means in Japanese and she gave me a blank stare. When I said 'daiben' she cracked up though. Daiben would be like, big shit, or very shit or something. So she definitely picked up on that one. So Ben means shit I guess. Fair enough.

And there was some little fuck of a guy (who actually cracked me up later when I started to fuck with him and he was too drunk to pick up on any of it) who pissed off everyone in the bar. He had an accent but insisted he was from Weston, outside of Boston (and I'm unsure whether to believe him or not since who knows Weston but people from the area?). He walked up to me and rubbed my Boston hat with his hand (announcing right away he was a douche bag) and told me he liked it. When I asked him where he was from he said Boston in a thick Australian or British accent (he was already slurring his words at that point). Then he gave me that familiar glazed-over drunken stare where you can't tell what someone's about to say or do. Then I asked him if he was fucking with me and he said 'yeah, so what if I am?' Good point. I told him that he was the shortest person I'd ever met from Boston and thats when the guy from central Vermont stood in front of him and introduced himself (it was quite slick). Everyone in the bar was so friendly and I met most of the people there by the end of the night. Oh yeah, and that short guy ran his mouth to someone bigger and drunker than I was and he got pushed to the floor. I took some pictures of him arguing with a bunch of people right before he got tossed. Later, he told me that I was a really good looking guy and probably was getting laid all the time. Well, he was half right.

blog comments powered by Disqus