Friday, February 24, 2006

I'm too black for BET, Pt. 2 of 2

I wish I came up with the title of this post. Its all Ghostface Killah. But it applies if by black I mean white and by BET I mean Japan.

On a related/unrelated note. I posted a mock conversation that I had with this Canadian girl a few days ago and I only noticed today that what I wrote didn't show up. Because what I type for this blog gets rewritten in HTML anytime I use the less than or greater than bracket things, the text doesn't make it to the site. So I fixed that, but I don't know if there were other times in this blog that I used those keys. I'm not about to reread everything either.

Yeah, so, I'm done looking up to these people that I wouldn't let babysit my pet rock back in the states. Which randomly reminds me of a trip I took a few days earlier. I've been having these cravings for shitty fast-food and snacks lately. I went into a Mister Donut on Tuesday, which is the Japanese answer to Dunkin' Donuts. They make the slightly boastful claim: 'world's best donuts and freshest coffee.' Fair enough, here comes the taste test. I bought an almond frosted donut and stood on the train platform, salivating, waiting for it to get less busy so I could eat it (its considered rude to eat or drink in public I've been told). In my humble opinion, Mister Donut isn't fit to sniff the dick of Krispy Kreme. World's best? Where do you get off?

So after I walked down to Sakae I made my way up this long, narrow park towards Nagoya Castle. All of Nagoya's sister cities have pavilions there, and I took a bunch of pictures. Los Angeles, Mexico City, Sydney, and some city in China were the ones I saw, but there may have been more in the opposite direction. I got hungry near the TV Tower and stopped in a McDonald's (that fast-food craving again). I made what Skobac would call a 'rookie mistake' though, and ordered the Italian sandiwch thing that they're hocking for the Olympics in Torino. Two big macs would have been so much better. Oh man, that would be so good right now.

I had an Aussie take a picture of my in front of the stupid tower and then walked all the way to the castle. Admission for museums here is really cheap and I'm into that. It was less than $5 to get in and I spent an hour taking the tour. They really play up the whole 'those fucking Americans destroyed our priceless castle' thing too much though. They had black and white photos of the original castle burning and I feel like they just overdid it. I also felt slightly out of place as the only white person there. I'm sure I was being judged quietly by everyone there: 'thanks for destroying our cultural heritage you American scum.' Well, next time you want to kill 20 million+ people in East Asia and thousands of Americans you'd just better think again, huh?

It was probably all in my head though, as everyone I met there was really nice. You're not allowed to take photos of any kind in the museum, but I turned my flash off and just avoided the guards on every floor. The photos all look a little blurry in my opinion but without a flash and leaving my camera in daylight mode can explain that away.

After I left the castle I was sick of walking and it was after 5pm, so I made my way for the towers. I accidentally walked into some old shrine and got a few more pictures though. It was on my walk away from the shrine that a bus-full of high school girls flirted with me. I got back home after 6pm and today I'm just chilling out. I want to hit this internet cafe at least once a week with some pictures to upload, but we'll see how that holds up over time.

blog comments powered by Disqus