Friday, March 02, 2007

Siem Reap to Bangkok, 03.03.2007

I've just arrived in Bangkok and I think someone spit on me. We checked these three guesthouses in a row and the third one had a pretty extensive fire escape in the alley. The approach to the front desk is through this alley and when we were leaving I felt one solid glob of something wet hit my bandana. It didn't get skin but I was definitely spit upon. I am not happy about this.

We're in the backpacker's area of Bangkok right now and we've only just checked into our hotel. For the three of us to stay here, which is a great location, its gonna be 400 baht. That's for a single and a double. The baht has become stronger than when our Lonely Planets were published but you can still imagine its about 40 baht to the dollar. So that's 10 dollars for three of us. I haven't seen Starr and Raquel's room yet, but mine is only big enough for the full-sized bed and walking room on two sides of it.

The food outside looks incredible. Eating in the food stalls and out of street vendor's carts is encouraged (so says Lonely Planet) but I gave up worrying about that a long time ago. The main street outside (I already forgot the name) looks cool. Lots of restaurants, bars, and shops selling clothes, trinkets, and the like. Everyone in the area is very young and very foreign.

The bus ride was 12 hours long but it seemed short. I can't believe I entered Cambodia on the 27th and left by the 3rd. That was probably some sort of record.

blog comments powered by Disqus