Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Didn't have enough time with that last one...

Yeah, thanks for the update Wu. I think we all put that one together.

That last post was called "I walk alone" but I ran out of time before I could explain why. It's been 3 or 4 days now since Starr, Raquel, and I split up and went our own ways. They were simply rushing too fast through all the places I wanted to go and I had to pull the brakes. So now I'm on my own. They took a bus south to hit the islands on the first full day we had in Bangkok. I stayed for three nights at the 7 Holder Guest House and then last night I took a bus here, to Chiang Mai, to go hiking, cycling, and do some other outdoorsy stuff. It's early here, around 10 I think, so after I finish uploading some photos I'm gonna go rent a bike and head to a national park nearby.

I thought I would save myself some cash so I took a public bus to the North Bus Station in Bangkok. All buses not chartered by the travel agencies in and around Khao San Road leave from there, and since that's the main tourist area of Bangkok I was sure to save some cash. An hour ride on a bus for 20 baht (50 cents or so) to the station got me a 403 baht ticket leaving the same day at 10pm. I was so proud of myself. When I got back to Khao San Road, briefly triumphant, I bought a Lonely Planet: Thailand for $8 and then asked about prices to Chiang Mai. 350... 300... uh-oh. The only positive side to it was that my bus was less than half-full so I was able to spread out and sleep lying down. I have no doubt that all the private bus companies sell out every ride. At least, they have every single time I've taken one of their buses so far.

So, I didn't save any money but the ride was probaby more enjoyable than it would have been otherwise. Which was the opposite of my intention, but it helps me sleep so let's go with that.

Oh yeah, LOOK AT HOW MOTHER FUCKING SKINNY I GOT! You see me in that grasshopper picture??? Fuck!

blog comments powered by Disqus