Thursday, July 13, 2006

Last night and a Sumo match

I may or may not have hung out with a 29-year old Japanese girl last night.

Tom's friend is going to a Sumo match today at around 5 and I left him my phone number if he wants someone to go with. I'm leaving everything up to him, but I wouldn't be opposed to watching some Sumo wrestling today. The grand tournaments (or whatever) are being held in Nagoya this season so I have the ability to see the best wrestlers in Japan. Maybe not today, but I mean in theory.

I've seen a handful of Sumo walking around Kanayama Station, taking the trains, and doing other normal crap. Its neat though because they're always dressed up in kimono and have their hair put up in the Sumo style. I saw one guy who's head was almost rubbing against the roof of the subway car, but for the most part they're not so tall. Today I saw a guy who must be in a low weight-class because it crossed my mind to topple him over and mess up his hair. Watching the matches on TV though I know that while they seem fat and out of shape their legs are fucking powerful.

Sumo matches only last a few seconds and the season isn't long either. When they're not competing, they're training and eating like crazy. A student told me that standard Sumo fare is something called Chunko (or Chanko). I don't know what it consists of, but they also drink lots of beer for the calories and carbs. So, Sumo wrestlers are treated like celebrities, eat and drink beer, train, and then only have to compete for a few seconds at a time. Sounds like a sweet job to me.

blog comments powered by Disqus