Thursday, July 06, 2006

I like you. Just not in a toe-up-the-ass way.

I'm editing my resume and sending it out tonight for teaching jobs in Tokyo and in other countries. My quasi-friend Andrea just gave one-week notice because she found a job working for the pharmaceuticals company Pfizer. I think its either teaching English to employees or editing technical documents. The job required a background in that kind of crap and she majored in... that kind of crap.

The worst part of my week is the weekend. I'm busy with teaching and commuting and whatever else from Friday to Tuesday, but without any friends or hobbies, I just study Japanese and get depressed in my free time.

Teruko sent me a text earlier asking me if I wanted to go out for drinks tonight but, like I said, she's annoying. I blew her off. Being lonely and depressed is better than hanging out with someone who sucks. I can only hear 'REALLY!?!?!!?!?' from someone so many times before it starts to sound like my soul dying.

I was drinking Japanese beer (which sucks) and watching the Japanese version of Who Wants to Be a Millionaire earlier. The differences (aside from being completely incomprehensible) between the US and Japanese versions are that in Japan, you play to 10,000,000 yen. Thats less than $100,000. Who cares? Also, they give a short biography of the contestants (although this was a celebrity version) before they take the 'hot seat.' They still say 'final answer' to lock in their guesses, but when they get to the 100,000 and 1,000,000 yen marks, they run video clips of their friends wishing them good luck. There are the same three life lines but the pauses between 'final answer' and the revealed answer are TOO DAMNED LONG. They try to build up the suspense for 20 seconds or more. I was trying like hell to translate the questions but only caught the four possible choices to one question: zeus, poseidon, saturn, and something else. Poseidon was right.

Gnarls Barkley on the iPod.

blog comments powered by Disqus