Monday, July 10, 2006

Blah blah blah

I just downloaded a copy of IBT's W2 request form. I can finally fax this to some woman named Keisha and get my taxes done for 2005. For anyone who's curious, when you get an extension approved by the federal government you get until like October to get your shit together.

I have work today from 5 to 9pm. My days off have been changed to Wednesday and Thursday but it doesn't matter since I spend my weekends alone anyway. I haven't made any plans for myself but if I get restless I can go hiking in the Japanese Alps which are only a few hours away on the train. I'll probably do exactly what I always do though, study Japanese at Mister Donuts and drink about 15 cups of coffee. I tried to switch to decaf, but I couldn't figure out how to say it in Japanese and my gestures and drawings (go ahead and try to draw decaf) weren't helping the girl at the counter.

The other day at Nova I had a man-to-man lesson with a woman in her 50's. She's a nurse and we were just chatting about nothing when she started asking about my love life. I said that I wasn't really seeing anyone right now so she tried to set me up with her daughter. I hesitated in responding so she dropped the subject. I think if I could do it again I would just give her my number and throw caution to the wind, but my reasons for hesitating are excellent. First of all, this woman seems like she might want a traditional Japanese relationship to blossom. By traditional I mean that marriage and children might be expected from me in a pretty short interval of time. Also, even if this girl is beautiful and intelligent and has all the same interests as me, her mom told me that she can't speak any English. Also, this nurses' husband hates English and won't even let her study it at home. The whole thing sounded like a bad scene and even if I started to date this woman's daughter and things went well, I would eventually break up with her and then would be forced to see her mom in lessons about once a week.

The students at Higashiura are awesome. The students at Handa were cool too, but there are some really great personalities at this school. I may dread going to work on most days but when I'm actually teaching, I really enjoy this job. Its fun, its easy, and the days fly by. I've saved up about 430,000 yen so far (5 months worth of saving), which is about $4,000, so the money isn't so bad either. Granted, I haven't traveled much since arriving here, but if I keep the course, I should have a nice bit of money to travel with before coming back home.

Man this post is boring.

blog comments powered by Disqus