Thursday, July 20, 2006

Hazukashii

Thats the word for the night. It means embarassing. I had the girl I've been seeing come over and she cooked me dinner. She actually made it earlier at her place and only heated it up because I blew her off until 8pm. She's an awesome cook. She made Japanese curry, mashed potatoes, fried chicken (karage), and she sliced up some veggies. She also brought some Japanese wine that I can only describe as spicy. Not in some abstract wine way either, I mean like Mexican food. She either didn't understand what I was saying about it or couldn't figure out how to read the bottle because she responded with 'rosehips and maka' as some sort of explanation. We searched our dictionaries but couldn't come up with anything on 'Maka.'

Anyway, the word for the day is hazukashii because while I washed down our counters, sink, and stove before she came over, I neglected to take out the three-weeks worth of garbage that had accumulated in our kitchen. How that could have escaped me is something I can't give a satisfying answer to. So, when she arrived and noticed that our kitchen is disgusting and smells, I acted surprised and took all the trash outside. That didn't help though, because when I moved the giant pile of cigarette butts, tea bags, and rotting vegetables, it kicked up a storm of flies and tiny bugs. They didn't follow the trash that I carried, dripping, down the hallway either, but remained buzzing around the kitchen the whole time she was over. I created a pile of trash juice in the middle of the kitchen that smelled like week-old Santorum. She then proceeded to wash every dish and piece of silverware she took out of our cupboards because she no longer trusted a single thing in our kitchen.

We watched her favorite movie, a Japanese film called 'The space between passion and silence' (...nani... to ...nani... no aida). It was terrible and made no sense to me but I lied and said I liked it.

blog comments powered by Disqus