Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Strange Conversations

I saw a student on the train the other day, this cute girl that I don't frequently speak with but who I recognized easily. She seemed absolutely astonished to see me outside of Nova and actually let her mouth fall open when I sat down next to her. Off to a good start. The first thing out of her mouth when I sat down was 'What are you doing?' That kind of a statement doesn't surprise me anymore as she just isn't sure how to be polite or start a conversation in English. The second and fourth questions however were both 'where do you live?' I thought that sort of question could be answered once but I guess there were some details she wasn't clear on.

Her: What are you doing?
Me: Heading into Obu for dinner, you?
Her: Was with friends. Where do you live?
Me: In Kyowa.
Her: Oh KYOWA. Where are you going?
Me: I'm not sure, maybe this izakaya near the station.
Her: Ooh. Where do you live?
Me: In... ... In Kyowa? (Pointing back to where the train had just come from)
Her: Oh. I heard you have a girlfriend.
Me: ... who the hell did you hear that from?
Her: I'm not sure.

She clearly understood what I said the first time because she repeated it. I swear she repeated it. And since I haven't told anyone about having a girlfriend here (other than you all), how the hell did this student know about that as well? Man. The students must all talk to each other because I didn't tell her shit.

The other night I got dinner with Yuka and she told me a little bit about what her job is like. Since she speaks Japanese all day and we're in different parts of the building, I have no idea what goes on between the staff and the students. The students are a lot more strange than I was led to believe. I guess students telling the staff that they have feelings for teachers happens all the time and we just never hear about it. I knew that this high school Sophomore had a crush on a 26 or 27-year-old teacher at my branch. What I didn't know is that she had competition for him and the two of them even spoke about it. The second girl requested that the Sophomore inform her when she planned on talking to him, so she could be present and not miss anything.

Also, apparently some student who left to work in Canada admitted to something simliar about me. I can't remember who this girl was and I didn't ask for details, but where was she when I was lonely and looking for a girlfriend? She should have spoken up man. She could have gotten her ass ticked with a feather and her taint massaged with mayonnaise as one of my good friends from back home recently offered to do for me. You know who you are.

blog comments powered by Disqus