Sunday, January 28, 2007

Beijing - Jan 29, 2007 9:24am

I can only use this computer to check my email so don"t expect any photos yet. Starr and I arrived in Tianjin and made our way to Beijing yesterday. The boat ride was alright. I liked it but I think Starr got pretty fucking bored at points. What compounded it was that I prefered to read and be quiet and without someone to talk to she almost went nuts. She did make friends with this guy from Singapore named Christopher (that MIGHT be his name) and he was headed in the same direction that we were. This turned out to be the hand of God reaching down to help us out, because when we got off the boat he shared a cab with us, got us to the station, helped us buy our train tickets to Beijing, but couldn't get dinner with us because he had to be somewhere. We made plans to meet him by the Forbidden City tonight to get something to eat so that's what we're up to.

This hotel is run by the Adams Family (actually they're all really nice people, just a little off) but its alright. Last night we had a fucking adventure trying to get a cab from Beijing station. Of course we were bombarded by people asking us "where you going?" at the entrance to the station but when we went to get in line for a taxi some guy told us he would get us to our hotel for only 160 yuan, which, when I asked him to confirm that he just said 160 yuan, he paused and the number magically became 180 yuan. I was enchanted. When we started to walk away that number became 120 yuan in seconds but the guy we eventually got charged 60, and even that was probably gouging us.

The hotel is in a hutong of Beijing which is Chinese for the middle of fucking nowhere where you're completely fucked. Its only 15 minutes from the Forbidden City if we can find it.

I love you all. Expect more detail and pictures when I get to a computer that isn't this one.

blog comments powered by Disqus