Thursday, January 25, 2007

7pm

We got into Osaka last night around 9. We got lost on the subway and wound up at the Universal Studios stop, but were able to check in by 10ish. Hotel Chuo has a curfew of midnight, but we were able to meet up with some friends nearby and get back in time. It turns out a friend of ours from back home lives one stop away from our hotel. Pure coincidence. Mike Perry is a guy that Starr knows pretty well, but I've never met him before. Good guy. He leaves on the 30th to do the exact same trip that Starr and I are doing, only he's going backwards and then taking the trans-Siberian railroad to Moscow. He was drinking with two of his buddies, one of whom graduated from Brandeis in 1999. Small world.

Today we fucked around online when we woke up (taking full advantage of the free coffee) and were able to cash some of my traveler's checks near the hotel. We went to the Osaka aquarium and saw its much advertised Whale Shark. After that we went for a spin on what used to be the tallest ferris wheel in the world (thank you very much London). I boozed while Starr almost choked to death on a chocolate-covered almond.

After that we came back to our hotel to upload all of our pictures and video and charge our cameras, both of which died. While here, I was able to check my gmail but I still haven't received a reply from the guy that handles FAQs for the Kobe-to-Tianjin ferry. I wanted to confirm my reservation and ask if meals were included with our ticket. I used to think they were, but looking at pictures online of the restaurant on board, I'm suddenly afraid I'm wrong. Anyway, we need to wake up tomorrow at 7ish and get our asses to Kobe, so we'll figure it out soon enough. While searching though I took a look at what the more expensive cabins look like on this boat. I had always just assumed we would get whatever the cheapest tickets were, but for only an additional 3,000 yen, we can switch from futons on the floor (top picture) to bunks (bottom picure). So I guess we'll ask tomorrow if we can upgrade our beds.

blog comments powered by Disqus