Wednesday, November 15, 2006

I failed

The Chinese embassy in Nagoya closes at noon. I failed.

I have to think of something else to do with my day. I just got lunch. That's out. Almost everyone I know is working. So hanging out is out too. It's too early to go sit in a bar. That's out. I only have an hour on this terminal so I can't download music or write emails or watch clips of the Colbert Report. Damn man. I have plans to go hiking with Yuka tomorrow so I can't really get out of the area either. I guess I can find a museum or something to sit around in...

I think speaking English to people who work in services is the way to go. I just saw some young kid with a Japanese girlfriend speak lightning fast to some McDonald's worker and she was frantic in trying to keep up with him. He acted cocky and slightly annoyed even after he gave her a really complicated order. "Hold this, hold this, this is ok, this is ok, and can I get some extra (something) on the side? Thanks." But even if he was being incosiderate he came out of the thing looking sort-of cool and she looked like an idiot. That's way better than when I go to McDonald's and try to order in Japanese and I can tell the worker behind the counter just wants to laugh at me. I try like crazy but they still correct my grammar in a subtle way. I hate it man. I feel like a loser. I'd rather make them feel like crap because they can't understand me than the other way around.

Japan skipped fall. It went directly from summer to winter. I remember just two weeks ago sweating in my shirt and tie on the way to work and now today I have on three layers.

I have no idea what to write about. I update this thing because I've made a commitment to it, but not since Mt. Fuji have I felt like I had something to say.

For a good time, download 'Take Five' by the Dave Brubeck Quartet. It rocks. It jazzes? No. Its jazzy. There you go.

A while back (I don't think I've mentioned this yet), Pat asked some student what his hobbies were are and the guy responded: 'I like... ham.' Ham? He was looking for 'tennis' I think. I get those confused sometimes too.

I grew some sideburns and I think I'm gonna let the rest of my hair grow out to complete this new 'I don't have a job' look. Maybe mohawk it for China, but I'll go tighter on top so it looks more distinguished.

Hey Lou, I looked at that sight you sent me a link for. Brilliant. I've included it as a link. Vice Mag. I wish this blog read like their site.

blog comments powered by Disqus