Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Summer vacation

I was at Nova today from 5 to 9pm. When my last lesson was wrapped up, my vacation officially began. I got cookies, gin, tonic, red wine, and tofu to celebrate. I have to go into Nagoya tomorrow to buy a big backpack. After I get that I can load my sleeping bag, tent, clothes, and liquor into it and leave this god-forsaken area for something better. That something better is Nara, Kyoto, Takahama in Fukui, Kanazawa, Takayama, and Inuyama. I have a friend in Kyoto who I'm going to crash with for three days. I'll leave early in the morning on Thursday and spend the day in Nara. There's a giant Buddha statue, the oldest wooden structure in the world, and these famous deer that bow before you feed them. I'll take a train or a bus to Kyoto for the night and crash with my friend, Irvin. I'll spend the next two days in Kyoto seeing all the sites and temples and crap. After that, its off to Takahama and Kanazawa on the Sea of Japan. It's jellyfish season but it shouldn't be a problem. I'll spend another three days just reading, swimming, and drinking cheap beer on the beach. After that its off to Takayama in the central Alps. I'll hike and camp there, high in the mountains where its cool, before going to Inuyama for a day. Inuyama has one of Japan's four castles that escaped bombing in World War II. It has its original interior, which, I've been told, makes it far superior to the much larger castles in Nagoya and Osaka. I'll come back here for work on September 1st, 1:20pm. I'll take pictures and video now that I know how to post it.

Hope you guys are having fun in Ireland. Conor: keep your filthy Protestant hands off the glass.

blog comments powered by Disqus