Monday, February 18, 2008

My second accident

We don't have any snacks in the house. If Kevin were here, he would tell me that was a 'rookie mistake.' He'd be right to say so.

It's Monday and that means I'm not working. Normally, Daniela and I have Mondays and Tuesdays off, but she had to go in today since someone unexpectedly quit. That means that I'm home alone with no snacks, no car, and nothing to do. Thank G-d Daniela drove me out to the Lied Library at UNLV last night. Without books and my blog I might do something crazy like clean up the house.

My second week in Las Vegas was pretty good. My hands are all cut up and bruised which I didn't see coming. I had no idea working in a bakery would be so dangerous. I scraped my shin on the tailgate of a delivery truck, I have quite a few paper cuts on my hands from folding boxes, my knuckles are all dry and raw (I can't remember why), and I keep smashing my fingers between these tall metal racks when I'm loading and unloading the trucks.

I also managed to crash the bakery's biggest truck into the metal roof over the parking lot behind the Richmar store. The roof is supported by pillars and protects a single line of parked cars. It is 10 to 12 feet off the ground and not much more than sheet metal nailed together. I was pulling away from the curb, fully loaded with pastries and cakes, when I smashed into the thing in three separate places. I still don't understand how I did so much damage since I stopped the car as soon as I heard it hit. Anyway, Joni and Max didn't seem too upset about the damage so I think the whole thing has already been forgotten about. I freaked out when I heard the noise because I thought all of the racks inside of my truck had just fallen over. When I saw the roof I actually felt relieved. This picture isn't very good, but you can see how the edge of the roof has crumpled up. Eh. It happens.

Last weekend Daniela and I drove out to Red Rock. It's a federal park just outside of Las Vegas to the west. It cost us $5 to get in with our car and we spent a few hours hiking. While Las Vegas may be in the middle of the desert, there are a lot of beautiful parks close by. We've been to the Grand Canyon and Zion before, but I think additional visits would be a good idea. At the Red Rock visitor's center we saw a flier for the different passes you can buy from the Forestry Service. Unless I'm mistaken, there's some pass we can buy for $80 which gives us access to most of the parks in the US for a year. If I understood that flier correctly, we'll probably buy one soon and then spend some time camping this Spring.

I think Vanessa is coming out to visit this weekend. I'm not sure what Daniela has planned, but I expect it to be a crazy. See: wine and Scrabble.

blog comments powered by Disqus