Thursday, October 25, 2007

My endorsement

Well, the primaries are quickly approaching and its about time that the good people at my blog (me) handed down their (my) endorsement. Since I don't live in South Carolina, my options aren't that great. My real favorite in this campaign is Ron Paul, the Republican from Texas. In addition to being adorable, he wants to reduce the government to half its size and eliminate, among other things, the departments of homeland security and education, and the IRS. But Ron Paul, like Ralph Nader, doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell. That didn't stop me from voting for Nader in 2000 (that's right mother fuckers. And as a Massachusetts voter, I didn't cost anyone the election), but right now I'm not voting. Only endorsing.

So, I'm endorsing Bill Clinton as Ambassador to the World. I don't really give a shit about Hillary but it's clear that without really fucking up somewhere, she's gonna trounce Obama in the primaries. In a recent trip to the UK, Clinton said he thought his best role in a Hillary administration would be to be "ambassador to the world." I like the sound of that.

Clinton said "I'd be of most use to [Hillary] doing something to try to help restore America's standing in the world and build more allies and get us to work together again." Amen. I guess when it comes down to it, the things I care most about are:

1. Getting US troops home as fast as possible (that includes from places like South Korea, Japan, and wherever the fuck else we happen to have them).

2. Improving our relationship with the rest of planet Earth, who, right now, happen to hate us.

3. Reducing the size and scope of the government.

4. Promoting very liberal social values.

5. Finding a cheap flight to Japan.

Bill and Hillary can promote that liberal social agenda, as well as improve our relationship with the rest of the world. Hillary isn't pulling those troops out of Iraq anytime soon and she's probably gonna increase what the government can do (Hillarycare 2.0?). But, I'm only really endorsing Bill right now, not Hillary. I think in light of a Turkish invasion of northern Iraq, a tactical air strike by Israel inside of Syria, a Putin visit to Iran where he said they should watch each other's backs, a Taiwanese bid to join the UN as an independent country, a nuclear and untrustworthy North Korea, the current war in Iraq, a planned invasion of Iran (is that going to happen or what?), and a planned anti-missile defense system in Poland and the Czech Republic, someone needs to handle our international affairs a little bit better.

blog comments powered by Disqus