Wednesday, October 31, 2007

I'm... disappointed?

I just received this:

Dear Benjamin,

Interac Co., Ltd. takes great pleasure in offering you a position as a
Language Instructor. Detailed instructions about how to proceed from this
point are outlined below.

PROCEDURE
... blah blah blah blah

The letter then goes ON AND ON about what I have to do next. While I'm happy that they've offered me a job, it isn't the job I wanted anymore. The letter says my start date is April 2008, not December of this year like I wanted. The job is for their base salary of 250,000 yen/month, not the 260,000 yen/mo like I requested at the interview (which isn't a problem but I'm WORTH it). My salary could still increase a little bit if I get placed in a 'hard to fill' location. That means the boonies from what I was told, but I would be fine with that...

So! I've set the very arbitrary goal for myself of speaking fluent Japanese. That means that I should take this job and get back to Japan. But I don't know how excited I am at the prospect of returning to Japan to teach. I mean, it's not terrible or anything, but I don't think its preferable to anything else I could be doing either. It's just a job.

Sigh.

blog comments powered by Disqus