Monday, December 11, 2006

my car is in the hose-pee-tall

Every weekend I go to the Tsurumai Public Library and to the Nagoya International Center and swap out the books I've finished for some fresh ones. This past weekend, with a stack of books under my arm and the sweaty look of someone who hasn't showered, I was approached by a camera crew who wanted to interview me. Approached is the wrong word since I was actually grabbed from behind and then quickly surrounded by four people. I was waiting to cross the street and there were maybe another 8 or 9 Japanese businessmen standing with me. They all looked quite amused when they realized what was happening. 'Do you speak Japanese or English?' Apparently when I said 'English' they heard 'you may start the interview now.' The guy holding the camera hoisted it up on his shoulder and a really bright light came on. The woman reporter's face completely changed to like, her show-time expression and she put the microphone in my face. The other two guys stood up straight but I put my hand in front of the camera and asked her WHY she was asking me what language I spoke. Her exact words were 'Ok ok ok ok ok ok. I want to know how your local travel experience is different from what you expected.' Nothing clever came to me and right as she finished her question the light turned green, so I told her I was sorry but I didn't want to talk about my 'local travel experience.' I guess I just wasn't ready to be THAT famous yet, you know? I mean, signing autographs I can handle, but the tabloids, the rumors, the paparrazi... its just not worth it in the end. At least, not before I speak to my lawyers and iron out the details of the merchandizing rights. The money is an issue but you have to consider overexposure.

blog comments powered by Disqus