Wednesday, September 27, 2006

More updates about nothing

I'm going to Matsumoto-Jo in Nagano prefecture tomorrow. Its about a 3 and a half hour bus ride from Nagoya but hopefully its worth it. There are 12 original castles (feel free to correct me here Sahil) in Japan and of those, four are considered national treasures. Two castles near Nagoya, Inuyama and Hikone, one past Osaka at Himeji, and the one we're going to in Nagano. I visited the Nagoya Castle and it was ok but the interior seemed very museum-like and modern. The stairwells had neon exit signs and every room was wired with electricity. People who have seen the originals have said they're incomparably better. Also, I'm going with one of the Japanese staff at the Higashiura branch, Yuuka (on the left). This is one of the few pictures I have of her and its obviously not very good. She's cute though. You have my assurances.

Today I had an interview with some hippie from Toronto who runs his own school (although its not really a school) in Gifu and Nagoya. He had three kids classes (on Wednesdays from 4:00 to 7:15pm) that were about to become teacherless. It would have been an extra $120 a week, which would have been nice, but the job no longer exists. The teacher decided to stay in the country at the 11th hour, so I got a text last night from this guy telling me that we should still meet in case anything else comes up, but its now an interview for nothing. It seemed more like an opportunity for him to tell me how awesome his 'business' is. He asked me a few questions that could have been easily answered by just looking at the resume I sent him, and he seemed disinterested for the most part. He charges students 5000 yen per lesson and pays the teachers 4000 yen. He meets potential students and directs them where to meet the teachers. Thats it. I'm not even sure where I would have been teaching to be honest. I would have showed up at Obu station on Wednesdays to be picked up (by who exactly?) and driven somewhere to teach the kids. There are no lesson plans and he doesn't even have any input into what I should be teaching them either. It sounded pretty sweet (I would have been making twice what I make at Nova, per lesson) and I could have even stolen the students away from him and kept the full 5000 yen myself. Ah well. I'll keep looking.

To answer Bruce's question, it looks like nothing is going to happen between Amy and I. Her boyfriend is visiting right and she seems really happy with him. He's also a really nice guy and I think its probably where she should be. I don't want a long-term relationship with this girl, I just want some ass right now and so he's probably the better choice for her.
When she first mentioned that she had a boyfriend I thought it was like, one of things that girls think is cute to say but doesn't really mean anything. She is 7,000 miles away or whatever, right? She's still pretty cool and we'll keep hanging out but I'd be surprised if it turned into anything and I'm not gonna force it, so there you go.

blog comments powered by Disqus