Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Farm Share 13

We got tomatillos again this week in our farm share. D has already made a salad dressing and enchiladas with them, so I think we're out of ideas. We'll troll allrecipes.com and come up with something, but I'm done with these things. Actually, I'm not even sure what they taste like. I've only had them in meals D has prepared. Does anyone else think they look pumpkins for leprechauns?

We received a ton of stuff this week. My arm was tired after carrying it all home. Full disclosure: I don't work out anymore and have weak little girl arms.

Pears -- 1 lb., 1.95 oz.
Baby Bok Choy -- 15.75 oz.
Collard Green -- 12.25 oz.
Arugula -- 9.85 oz.
Carrots -- 1 lb., 8.45 oz.
Green Cabbage -- 2 lbs., 14.05 oz.
Delicata Squash -- 11.65 oz.
Tomatoes -- 1 lb., 2.55 oz.
Onions -- 1 lb., 4.45 oz.
Tomatillos -- 7.2 oz.
Potatoes -- 1 lb., 14.95 oz.

The pears came from Bashista Orchard in Southampton, MA, but everything else came from farms in Whatley, MA. As it gets later in the season, we should see more coming from Florida and the Carolinas. D and I are considering renewing our farm share through the winter. It'll be $700 for the same deal we get now, 10 pounds a week for 6 months. That's $200 more than we paid for our June-November share, but if more is being shipped up the East Coast, then it makes sense. If we abandoned our farm, we would need to buy WAY more produce at the grocery store.

Tonight D is at her Portuguese class, so I'll fry up the bok choy and make some rice. We don't have any meat thawed out, so I hope we have gyoza left. I think even if we paid $200 more for a season, it would be cheaper than shopping at Costco and the grocery store. At least, for what we're consuming. I doubt tater tots are more expensive than arugula and Japanese eggplant.

blog comments powered by Disqus