Monday, May 11, 2009

LBIX, EVC, and BWP

I'm almost finished re-balancing my portfolio. I sold my 250 shares of Freddie Mac (FRE) this morning at a 56% loss. They can't all be winners I guess. At least my Freddie losses will help reduce my capital gains taxes at year end (I'm on the hook for realized profits of $1,200 so far).

I bought 1,150 shares of a small bottling company in western Canada (mentioned in an earlier post). Last week I also bought 400 shares of a Spanish-language media company. The company is Entravision Communications (EVC) and it operates TV and radio stations all over the country (its stations are Univision and TeleFutura affiliates). I read their 10-K and listened to last quarter's conference call. I'm sold on the growth potential. Hispanics in this country are on the move and someone's gotta advertise to them. With the economy where it is advertising revenues are waaay down, but I think Entravision will survive it and rebound nicely.

I bought 25 shares of Boardwalk Pipeline Partners (BWP). It's a company that owns and operates natural gas pipelines along the Gulf Coast and up to the Midwest. It's paying a 10% dividend and I don't think they're going to need to cut it. The company just discovered that there are some mechanical problems with its pipelines and they've been running less than optimally. After the problem is fixed, they 'll boost production with minimal extra cost. Plus, natural gas is going to be an important part of any future energy policy in this country.

The $770 I have left in cash is going into a tech or a Chinese ADR. I'm leaning toward AgFeed (FEED), the largest farmer of pigs in China and a major seller of feed.

My performance since October 1st, 2008 (I'm in blue and the Dow Jones is in red):

blog comments powered by Disqus