Wednesday, April 11, 2007

My international friends

I've met a few cool people. Canadians are not among them.

I met these two Canadian girls, Sherry and her older sister while taking a bus to Taman Negara. They were aggressively patriotic which struck me as very un-Canadian. While we were chatting I mentioned that Starr and I had said once or twice that we were Canadians while traveling and they both turned red. The older sister said something under her breath and then Sherry (who turned out to be the much bigger bitch) said that they HATE it when Americans do that. She then began to interrogate me as to why we would lie like that and why we feel it necessary to say 'Canadian' and not, say, 'Australian.' I couldn't believe she was asking me such a stupid question. We were afraid that other people might react in a negative way to us, being Americans, and we chose Canada because our accents are indistinguishable. Sherry's older sister then said, in not so many words, that Americans aren't fit to call themselves Canadians and we wreck their good name. I told her that in retrospect I wished I hadn't done it, because no one we met preferred Candians to Americans and it was completely unnecessary. Then I told her that I would call myself a Canadian from now on and I would only ask and say the DUMBEST shit I could think of to everyone I meet. I laughed with daggers in my eyes and they didn't find it funny.

I met this cool Malaysian guy named Shad, Sijitan in China, a Danish chick in Malaysia, and some Japanese and German guys. I kept seeing them again and again where I traveled so we became close. Sort of. The best people I've met so far though are these two British chicks. Len and Nikki. The very first time I met Nikki she was across the room and then announced: "I'm sorry you guys. I just farted and it is seriously RANK." That was the first thing I heard her say. She said that before she even introduced herself. It was a nice change since most people try to pull this traveling pissing-contest that isn't fun to be a part of. "Oh where have you been? Oh yeah, we just came from there, and I also went to blah, blah, blah, blah..." She was also at the Indian embassy in KL and stood up for me the second she caught wind of what was happening. She started arguing with the woman behind the counter and lying about crap before I asked her to or anything. She was awesome and I know she was headed for India so maybe we'll meet up again.

blog comments powered by Disqus