Friday, January 01, 2010

Some structure for 2010

Demetri Martin inspired me. I watched his "If" show from 2004 and I really like his weekly point system idea. If you haven't seen it, skip forward to 6:40 in the first clip and watch it to the end. Then watch the second clip until 3:56.




So, I've already made the first version of my weekly point system. I only have 5 categories (Demetri had 7) and my score is out of 24, not 35. Here's the list:

MIND
Write in my journal everyday, serious reflection only
Practice the guitar for an hour a day; 4 days
Practice Japanese for an hour a day; 4 days
Read 2 books
Draw for an hour a day; 4 days

BODY
Cook new recipe
Work out for at least 1 hour; 4 days
Brush teeth twice daily & floss once daily; everyday

CAREER

Improve GMAT Score by ____ points
Learn co-worker's GL
Average # of daily open items this week < open items last week
Network with 1 person

MANAGEMENT
Earned extra $50 (or more)
Spent less than $100 for the week (Rent, util., loans, T-Pass, & taxes not incl.)
Did load of laundry
Took trash to the curb
No dishes in the sink at bedtime; everyday
Thoroughly clean one room of condo

RELATIONSHIPS

Talk to friend or family member for 15 minutes on the phone
Do something nice for D
Date night
Get together with friend(s) in Boston

CONTRIBUTION

1 hour of volunteer work
Do something for the Earth

I don't anticipate this experiment being a failure. Demetri seems to think he failed at this. He asks, rhetorically, what would a 35 point day have looked like? I think he missed the point of his own system. Getting all 35 points in a single week is meaningless. The goal isn't to talk on the phone for 15 minutes this week, it's to have better relationships with everyone I know. Talking on the phone is just a way to quantify the progress I'll be making toward the real goal. I'll update when I have serious revisions to the list.

blog comments powered by Disqus