Friday, April 10, 2009

Ninja, Survivalist, Investor.

I just wanted to brag a little bit: my portfolio is making money again! For those of you who don't own stocks or aren't following your 401ks anymore, we just had an awesome 5 weeks. I read somewhere that these are the biggest gains since the Great Depression. I have no idea if that's true or not; I've cleaned up regardless.

I picked 4 losers and 2 winners. Bank of America, MGM Mirage, and Freddie Mac are still down 60% from where I bought them back in October. US Steel is down 24%. Ford and Tata Motors are up 140% and 100% respectively. How does that make sense? Ford has been in good shape relative to GM and Chrysler, but it's not doing well. I bought Tata for what I assume will be the success of the Nano. But before either of those companies can get their acts together, finance and materials have to recover, right? A US Steel recovery should precede an automotive recovery... I think the reason that I've done well is that I just got lucky with my timing. And it's also the reason I was burned by everything else. I bought in way too early. Lesson learned. Again.

blog comments powered by Disqus